Box cuts out!

So do we think this is a fix at the transmitter? I take it the software version hasn't changed.
Someone on the other site a few days ago said .............

"Humax have identified the Blank Screen issues with Aura and are sending out an Over The Air Update to selected Aura Users. This is a test update and once confirmed that the Update is functioning correctly then all Aura Users will receive the update."

Maybe I was just lucky to be in the right region.

So do we think this is a fix at the transmitter? I take it the software version hasn't changed.

IMHO Playout is the most likely as it seemingly affects all sets of Code and Mux and Transmitters.
(C&M may now be in the Cloud). Although D3&4 may have updated the same profile on all sets of C&M in both locations at some (recent) time past; in which case that would also be suspect.

But WHY only Aura and only (or mainly) Live streams. Someone on the other site has issues with fast speed, reverting to play after 1m 50s, repeatedly (ITV3) that could also be related.
That time may give a clue to someone in the 'chain' and in a dialogue with Humax.

(BBC had a one in 10^64 frame Dolby E issue a long while back on HD. But that affected all receivers.)

@Rodders53 Someone there timed the glitch as being every 1.57 minutes and I posted here ..........................
I just tried pausing live TV and skipping back a couple of minutes on an affected channel as a possible work around but the next black screen just puts it back to live TV.

Second day and still no sign of black outs on any channels, I received this message from Humax today but no mention of why the problem has been resolved for me..........................................

"Thank you for contacting Humax.
Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention.
We are currently experiencing a high volume of contacts due to an issue with our Aura set-top box, where specific channels may temporarily experience a blackout screen
Our development team has already identified the root cause of the problem and is currently in the process of testing a bugfix with selected users. This testing phase is crucial as we aim to ensure that the solution does not have any unintended side effects on the Freeview app.
We kindly ask for your patience during this time as we collect and analyze feedback from our testers. Rest assured, we are working diligently to resolve the issue.
There is no need for further action on your part at this time. We will provide updates and additional information on our website and through notifications to our registered users as soon as a fix is available. Please also note that the HD channels are working flawlessly, so if your TV allows, we advise you to watch those until the final and official software update is released.
Thank you for your patience and for choosing Humax. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your understanding."

What is the Aura software/firmware version showing as on your box (cf others?). In case you've opted into a beta update? {I'd expect you would have to give them enough details to identify your Aura serial number or MAC address, to allow them to push it to your device.}

Others are still complaining 'over there' --- so unless the Broadcasters on D3&4, with Humax input, have done something to fix (temporarily or otherwise?) ...

It's extremely unusual for broadcasters to do that for one brand/model in a fully valid / compliant signal stream.

What is the Aura software/firmware version showing as on your box (cf others?). In case you've opted into a beta update? {I'd expect you would have to give them enough details to identify your Aura serial number or MAC address, to allow them to push it to your device.}

Others are still complaining 'over there' --- so unless the Broadcasters on D3&4, with Humax input, have done something to fix (temporarily or otherwise?) ...

It's extremely unusual for broadcasters to do that for one brand/model in a fully valid / compliant signal stream.
Still on firmware 9.21 System info for Update Date says Aug 05 2021 Application version 1.01_96210805_1a8aeb6 No CF on an Aura and I was not asked to be a tester .

Edit...... I replied to the Humax e.mail earlier telling them that the issue was not happening anymore for me and just received a reply......................

Thank you for this information, it's great to hear.
In case the issue returns, please be aware that the software update I menationed in my rpevious email will be rolled out soon.

Best Regards,

Judit
Humax Customer Support

Last edited:
Still on firmware 9.21 System info for Update Date says Aug 05 2021 Application version 1.01_96210805_1a8aeb6 No CF on an Aura and I was not asked to be a tester .

Edit...... I replied to the Humax e.mail earlier telling them that the issue was not happening anymore for me and just received a reply......................

In case the issue returns, please be aware that the software update I menationed in my rpevious email will be rolled out soon.

Best Regards,

Judit
Humax Customer Support

Best Regards,

Judit
Humax Customer Support

Best Regards,

Judit
Humax Customer Support
I've returned to this forum after starting the thread several days ago. A lot of the above replies seemed to get away from the subject and turned to who watches which channels etc etc. However, I can report that, from my point of view, the problem appears to be fixed. 😁. For a few days now I can watch any channel on SD or HD (whichever you prefer!) and all is well. Thanks to all those who must have contacted Humax to get it sorted.

I've returned to this forum after starting the thread several days ago. A lot of the above replies seemed to get away from the subject and turned to who watches which channels etc etc. However, I can report that, from my point of view, the problem appears to be fixed. 😁. For a few days now I can watch any channel on SD or HD (whichever you prefer!) and all is well. Thanks to all those who must have contacted Humax to get it sorted.
I suspect that Humax had nothing to do with the fix and their talk of an update coming soon was just hot air. Work started on my transmitter on the day that the problem ended and that has also been the case for others.

I suspect that Humax had nothing to do with the fix and their talk of an update coming soon was just hot air. Work started on my transmitter on the day that the problem ended and that has also been the case for others.
That transmitter work will be completely dissociated from this issue and purely coincidental.
Some of those 'works' have been going on for a very, very long time at some sites (if not all) as well.

More likely someone has identified a change made in playout/distribution/C&M (before the transmitters) that has been reverted to the previous stable version... on the D3&4 multiplex.

It's very weird how only Aura were affected, though.

@Rodders53 Just as weird as many users now reporting it is fixed for them without having received the fabled Humax update. Also nobody has said they were actively part of the testing for said update. Stinks of Humax bs to me.

@Rodders53 Just as weird as many users now reporting it is fixed for them without having received the fabled Humax update. Also nobody has said they were actively part of the testing for said update. Stinks of Humax bs to me.
I wish there was an "Agree" emoticon on here.
Doubt we'll ever know what and why (in a public forum) anyway.

I emailed Humax and asked if we were still going to get an update as many people no longer have this issue or was it just hot air and they responded with...........

Thank you for contacting Humax.
We're writing to inform you that in response to recent beta testing results, we have initiated the software update process for the "Freeview" app across ALL Aura units currently in the field.
The update is being rolled out automatically to all boxes as users continue to use their devices normally.
However, if you find that your unit still retains the old version of the app, we kindly ask you to follow the steps outlined below for a manual update:

Turn on your set-top box and watch live TV for 1 minute.
Place the set-top box into standby mode for 1 minute.
Turn on your set-top box again and watch live TV for 5 minutes.
Place the set-top box into standby mode once more, this time for 2 minutes.
Check the version name in Settings > Apps > See all apps > Show system apps > "Freeview"
(Please note: This should not be confused with Freeview TV, which should display as "1.00_62_240210").

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during these days of inconvenience. Our team is committed to ensuring that you have a seamless experience with the Freeview app moving forward. If you encounter any issues or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you for your continued support.
Best Regards,
Judit
Humax Customer Support

I followed the instructions and my Aura does state 1.00_62_240210 , Very surprising and not sure what it does as the issue had already gone :)
Edit I only followed the "Check the version name in Settings" part and it was there. without the need to do anything else.

Last edited:
I emailed Humax and asked if we were still going to get an update as many people no longer have this issue or was it just hot air and they responded with...........

I followed the instructions and my Aura does state 1.00_62_240210 , Very surprising and not sure what it does as the issue had already gone :)
I think that Humax email meant the system app Freeview is the one that's changed.
The other one is Freeview TV, which should remain as "1.00_62_240210".

Last edited:
Edit This post should be before bottletop's but I wiped it when correcting my bad spelling :oops:

Thank you for contacting Humax.
We're writing to inform you that in response to recent beta testing results, we have initiated the software update process for the "Freeview" app across ALL Aura units currently in the field.
The update is being rolled out automatically to all boxes as users continue to use their devices normally.
However, if you find that your unit still retains the old version of the app, we kindly ask you to follow the steps outlined below for a manual update:

Turn on your set-top box and watch live TV for 1 minute.
Place the set-top box into standby mode for 1 minute.
Turn on your set-top box again and watch live TV for 5 minutes.
Place the set-top box into standby mode once more, this time for 2 minutes.
Check the version name in Settings > Apps > See all apps > Show system apps > "Freeview"
(Please note: This should not be confused with Freeview TV, which should display as "1.00_62_240210").

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding during these days of inconvenience. Our team is committed to ensuring that you have a seamless experience with the Freeview app moving forward. If you encounter any issues or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Thank you for your continued support.
Best Regards,
Judit
Humax Customer Support

Last edited:
I think that Humax email meant the system app Freeview is the one that's changed.
The other one is Freeview TV, which should remain as "1.00_62_240210".
Following "Check the version name in Settings > Apps > See all apps > Show system apps > "Freeview " The only thing given is Version 1.00_62_240210_6c584f1a4 What should I expect to be seeing?

I read that as Year24 Month 02 Day10 so some sort of Humax fix to something on a SATURDAY?

Alternatively its a 2010 date and Aura didn't exist then. Curiouser and Curiouser.

@Black Hole <Liking> is not the same as <Agreeing> in my dictionary, nor is it labelled as such on this Forum..

@Black Hole <Liking> is not the same as <Agreeing> in my dictionary, nor is it labelled as such on this Forum..
So if you agree with a post do you not like it? I certainly consider "agree" as within that range of meaning. With a limited number of reactions to choose from, choose the one which fits best rather than choose none (especially if reacting avoids another post).

Different users interpret the Like in different ways; but for guidance: in my opinion a Like should be awarded if a post shows endeavour, and merit, and is of particular interest/use to you, or if you are in strong agreement with an opinion (thereby removing the need to express support in a post), or is a particularly pithy remark or wise crack. Awarding Likes for minor posts risks devaluing the scheme (if it isn't devalued already).

Back