Customised HDF file released

Bad news is that I've installed the hmt package and looked at the encoding flag setting on the SD recordings and it is not set.

Have you tried installing the virtual-disk package and copying a recording over to it? Does the copy option appear via the remote once it thinks there are two disks? If so, then the last bit is does it decrypt on the copy...

It would be a shame if the HD doesn't do this :(

Have you tried installing the virtual-disk package and copying a recording over to it? Does the copy option appear via the remote once it thinks there are two disks? If so, then the last bit is does it decrypt on the copy...
I've tried this, it shows the virtual disk as a second HDD however can't copy to it, you can select the drive as the desination but nothing happens, no errors just goes back to drive listing. I did notice on the initial media screen (i.e. press Media button on remote, where the drives are listed) when selecting the virtual drive where it show available space it says "Not available". Is there any way to specify the capacity of the virtual drive, I am wondering if the box is seeing this as a drive with capacity zero?

On another note I have a second HD T2, installed the update on that and manually created mod directory in /media/drive1 and set permissions to 777 and rebooted box i.e.:

telnet in using port 26 then:

cd /media/drive1
mkdir mod
chmod 777 mod
reboot

It then automatically creates the necessary links to this directory and opkg works fine.

It would be a shame if the HD doesn't do this :(

Pretty sure it doesn't - It's possible to plug in multiple external drives (using a usb hub), and the copy fails to decrypt in that case too. I think I saw on another forum that people have even contacted Humax about it, and the response was that a request had been sent to the Korean developers to include the feature in the next firmware (but no promises) :( I was hoping that it was simply that all recordings were being flagged as copy protected and the hmt tool would fix it.

I've tried this, it shows the virtual disk as a second HDD however can't copy to it, you can select the drive as the desination but nothing happens, no errors just goes back to drive listing. I did notice on the initial media screen (i.e. press Media button on remote, where the drives are listed) when selecting the virtual drive where it show available space it says "Not available". Is there any way to specify the capacity of the virtual drive, I am wondering if the box is seeing this as a drive with capacity zero?

I get the same (though I'm fairly sure it won't be that useful at the moment with the lack of on the fly decoding). Hope I'm wrong...

You could use the HD to store your non-Humax unencrypted media and stream that using mediatomb.

Yup - at lest its now a lot easier to copy stuff onto it now via ftp :).

On another note, has anyone yet managed to mount an external share so the hummy can play back external recordings without dlna and the annoying seek problems? Any pointers on how to mount a network drive appreciated!

Steve

On another note, has anyone yet managed to mount an external share so the hummy can play back external recordings without dlna and the annoying seek problems? Any pointers on how to mount a network drive appreciated!

Steve

Been trying this, installed samba and can access the HD Fox T2 from my Windows PC, however unable to mount a samba share from the T2. I think this requires smbfs support which the samba package doesn't include (may be wrong here I'm no expert!). I was going to mount an external share to /media/virtual and was hoping this would then show as a drive on the T2. If anyone can conform any of this conjecture it would much appreciated! I have two T2s so was hoping to be able to access the HDD from one box on another for my non-encrypted content.

Seems to be a problem with the repo:

Code:
humax# opkg update
Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
wget: can't open '/Packages.gz': Read-only file system
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
humax#

EDIT: Scrap that - working now!

Been trying this, installed samba and can access the HD Fox T2 from my Windows PC, however unable to mount a samba share from the T2. I think this requires smbfs support which the samba package doesn't include (may be wrong here I'm no expert!). I was going to mount an external share to /media/virtual and was hoping this would then show as a drive on the T2. If anyone can conform any of this conjecture it would much appreciated! I have two T2s so was hoping to be able to access the HDD from one box on another for my non-encrypted content.
I have tried mounting a remote filesystem using NFS and it works pretty well. However this depends on the server being able to support it (I use an old Linux box as a server). It doesn't show up as a drive as such, it works in a similar way to the virtual drive. In order to be able to read it you have to mount it within the "My Videos" tree. To be able to run an nfs server on the T2 the nfs server daemons would have to be compiled for it.

To be able to mount samba shares, the T2 would have to be able to support cifs or smbfs. The busybox mount command seems to understand cifs but the kernel would need to be recompiled to enable it. I think it should be possible since Humax provide the kernel source and config files.

I've just uploaded a new package auto-unprotect. A package that scans the disk for new HD recordings every 10 minutes while the T2 is powered on and automatically unprotects them so that they will by decrypted if they are subsequently copied using the remote control. You can change the scan interval by editing root's crontab.

Code:
opkg update && opkg upgrade hmt && opkg install auto-unprotect

First of all, thanks af123, Raydon and others for producing these mods - truley awesome! I recieved my HDR yesterday and wasted no time in installing af123's custom HDF and now can see all files over FTP and have the mod folder.

However, I was hoping somebody would be kind enough to help me with this problem? Like I said, custom HDF is running, but I cant install telnet or any other package using the USB method on af123's page. The file remains as ".auto" and there is no activity on the status LED of my USB drive appart from the initial couple of flashes when the Hummy brings up the copy menu. I used the same USB drive to upgrade the HDT without problem. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Is there any other way to get telnet on my box?

Thanks for your help!

Is there any other way to get telnet on my box?
You could unpack utelnetd_0.1.9_mipsel.opk manually. (You can use 7-Zip to open it). Extract data.tar.gz then
from this extract the folders sbin and etc. Use FTP to copy these two folders and their contents to /mod. Reboot and you should have telnet.

Thanks Raydon, I'll try that tonight and let you know how it goes.

I wonder why the USB method isn't working? Nobody else had this problem?

You could unpack utelnetd_0.1.9_mipsel.opk manually. (You can use 7-Zip to open it). Extract data.tar.gz then
from this extract the folders sbin and etc. Use FTP to copy these two folders and their contents to /mod. Reboot and you should have telnet.

Unfortunately the tinyftp implementation doesn't support SITE CHMOD so you'll have trouble making the telnet server executable..

Kev_w said:
I wonder why the USB method isn't working? Nobody else had this problem?

No - it looks like you're doing everything right and the fact that the menu comes up on the TV means that the box is seeing the drive.
Can you retrieve the /etc/mtab file over FTP while the USB device is plugged in and post it? Then change directory to /media and see if the USB disk is there (called drive1 or something similar) and cd into that and see if you can list the files there - could you post the output of that too?

- Python - I saw previous requests for it on this thread, so I know it's being thought about already.

There's a basic python package there now. It's fairly big and has lots of dependencies but it seems to work ok. I suspect more modules will be required to make it really useful.

@af123
Could the customised HDF file be modded to include telnet as standard? Hardly worth you doing it if I'm the only one having problems though. Is that something I could do myself?

@af123
Could the customised HDF file be modded to include telnet as standard? Hardly worth you doing it if I'm the only one having problems though. Is that something I could do myself?

I don't mind rolling one for you with telnet enabled when I get home from work if you can wait until then. If you want to do it yourself then you'll need to unpack the custom HDF, unsquash the resulting file to a directory and then add the telnet server binary and startup script (from the utelnetd package but modifying the paths in the startup script to point to the new telnet server), squash up the filesystem again and then build a new HDF.

I don't mind rolling one for you with telnet enabled when I get home from work if you can wait until then. If you want to do it yourself then you'll need to unpack the custom HDF, unsquash the resulting file to a directory and then add the telnet server binary and startup script (from the utelnetd package but modifying the paths in the startup script to point to the new telnet server), squash up the filesystem again and then build a new HDF.

Err... as easy as you make that sound (not) - I think I trust you more than I trust myself!!! If you could roll out a telnet enabled HDF that would be amazing, and I suppose it would then negate the need for a USB drive for people who haven't got one too.

I've created a twitter feed for the package website so that details of new and updated package are automatically posted there, so...

If you could roll out a telnet enabled HDF that would be amazing.

I'll do that tonight - I'm ready to release version 2.4 of the HDF in any case which should play more nicely with the HD. I'll release two versions; with and without the telnet server.

I'll do that tonight - I'm ready to release version 2.4 of the HDF in any case which should play more nicely with the HD. I'll release two versions; with and without the telnet server.

That sound good to me! Just one more quick question. My HDR is pretty old and had a very old firmware (with no portal). I figured that you would have patched the most recent firmware so went straight onto yours. My question is why is the customised HDF smaller than the one from the humax website (15mb instead of 16mb) and should I have really upgraded the official way first?

Thanks again for all your help!

Back