Rebooting every 1 minute unless antenna cable pulled out

The issue with the channels coming up differently on almost every retune has always been there.
All the more reason you should use manual tuning - that's the solution. By "installation" I was also referring to the set-up of the HDR-FOX, not just the aerial etc.

FWIW, I had hoped that the Humax would do its documented functionality a lot better. For example it never properly accessed the networked HD (Buffallo 2TB), on which I have stills (jpegs) and videos. It finds the jpegs but only some within a given directory (folder) so clearly there is something buggy in the file list enumeration code. Also its loading speed is painfully slow, on ~10MB jpegs. It could do load-ahead but it doesn't which makes it useless for a slide show. The only way to use it for that would be to generate custom-downsized files, say 1080 pixels wide, just for the slide show. It plays some video formats but not others; I know it can't do them all but all these boxes are based on a ripoff of Linux and you can get every codec going for that... I spoke to Humax about this and the guy was fairly honest and said that's the way it is... I got the impression they finished off the code and moved to the next project, leaving behind a load of known issues. It's a pity that if you are happy to use a (low-end) PC for a PVR, you can get superb functionality which is superior in every way to the Humax - except of course in packaging and straight out of the box working. We have not used the networking for anything of use, though lately with the CFW we were able to decode and convert to Mpeg some TV programmes which was a slick feature.
Agree wholeheartedly and it is the way it is with all products. I think manufacturers should be compelled to open source their code and tool chains once they decide not to provide updates any more or the box goes out of production. Most of it is a rip off of other people's work anyway.

What is the procedure for un-tuning the box and manually tuning in the channel(s) appropriate to where we live?

"Agree wholeheartedly and it is the way it is with all products. I think manufacturers should be compelled to open source their code and tool chains once they decide not to provide updates any more or the box goes out of production. Most of it is a rip off of other people's work anyway."

They won't do that because they re-use 99% of the code in their next product :)

It's called "leveraging the technology" (if you have a Univ of Upper Warlingham MBA).

Unfortunately I can't understand those instructions... multiplexes etc?

More to the point, I am amazed that is really needed, because much of the UK population can barely read and 99% are not going to mess with this sort of thing. So if this really was necessary to prevent crashing in areas where more than one transmitter in within range, Humax would be out of business due to warranty claims.

No crashes so far following the factory defaults and a re-tune.

Did you follow the links? Have you genned up on the terminology? Glossary (click)

It's very rare that I am accused of being unclear. Your previous posts indicate you have technical ability, I'm sure it's only a case of being prepared to read the material.

If it crashes again, I will give that a go. I don't mean to sound lazy ;) but when I did

- factory defaults, and
- an automatic retune

surely that is no more than approximately 99% of buyers will end up doing? And if even say 10% of Humax customers were getting a constantly rebooting unit, Humax would go bust. The big retailers like Dixons would dump them because they employ chimps who can't usefully support customers.

So I think it is worth leaving it for now and seeing if that has fixed it.

If it crashes again, I will give that a go. I don't mean to sound lazy ;) but when I did

- factory defaults, and
- an automatic retune

surely that is no more than approximately 99% of buyers will end up doing?
Certainly the proportion of users who manually tune is much greater than 1% because a lot of people with problems ring up Humax and Humax tell them to manually tune to resolve several different problems. Your rebooting problem is very uncommon which suggests to me some unusual factor is involved, but sadly I have no idea of what it is.

OK... it crashed just now, watching a channel called 63 Community.

My GF was watching and reported a clearly audible click just before it crashed. A hard drive head hitting the stop?

Back