Another one having trouble with Wi-Fi connection

arthurb-0

Hello - I have just bought a Humax Wi-Fi dongle for use with my 2000T, but cannot get it to connect. When entering the set-up, it finds the network name correctly and it has 5 bars up for the signal pretty consistently (once at 4). The encryption used is greyed-out and unalterable, but is in any case correct (WPA2-PSK(AES)). I then enter the key or password string, the Hummy puts up a message saying it is trying to connect, for about a minute or so, and then gives the 'connection failed check your settings' message that so many others have seen.

The key has 10 characters of mixed numbers and lower-case letters and I have checked it against that in the BTHomeHub and on a tablet, and the tablet can connect to the network just fine from the same position as the Hummy and with the same settings. I have, of course, tried this several times.

The only issue that I can think of is that I am using an Edimax range extender, and, although that works fine with two laptops, a tablet and two mobile phones, I did wonder if that is causing a problem. Unfortunately I cannot remove the extender from the network as things stand.

Has anyone got any ideas?

The similar HDR-FOX doesn't like it if the SSID has a space in it. The range extender should be fine if configured correctly: it is best to have DHCP managed by either the router or the extender, not both. If using a fixed IP address on the Humax, make sure that the same address can't be allocated simultaneously by DHCP.

Hello mate :) Im no expert, but I was tinkering for ages and in the end what clicked for me was unplugging the hub (virgin superhub2) and then giving it a full 1 minute reset, I then switched the hub back on and the Humax picked it up and started working no problem.
I dont know how important it is but have you registered your account for it?
The other thing I find with Iplayer is sometimes the search features dont work, but there is usually something displayed on the home page, selecting whatever tv show shows up and starting it, seems to get the whole Iplayer working for me, so I just exit that show and go back to the search to use it the way its supposed to work.

I also use a static IP address for the Humax and use the 2.4ghz setting - the 5ghz - never worked for some reason.

Hope some of this can help :)

Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not responding; unfortunately I had to be away for a couple of days and will look at this again tomorrow.

MET: the SSID doesn't have spaces, just a simple mixture of upper and lower case letters.

I may try to allocate a static IP address tomorrow.

Regards...

I've just got a 200t. Tried the supplied dongle - wouldn't even see my network (in fact it only saw 3). Plugged in the Edimax one O'd been using on my T2, hey presto, shows 8 networks including mine.

I've just got a 200t. Tried the supplied dongle - wouldn't even see my network (in fact it only saw 3). Plugged in the Edimax one O'd been using on my T2, hey presto, shows 8 networks including mine.

The Humax dongle is rubbish. My aunt's HDR Fox T2 works much better to my iPad personal hotspot with the Edimax dongle.

Hello - I have just bought a Humax Wi-Fi dongle for use with my 2000T, but cannot get it to connect. When entering the set-up, it finds the network name correctly and it has 5 bars up for the signal pretty consistently (once at 4). The encryption used is greyed-out and unalterable, but is in any case correct (WPA2-PSK(AES)). I then enter the key or password string, the Hummy puts up a message saying it is trying to connect, for about a minute or so, and then gives the 'connection failed check your settings' message that so many others have seen.

The key has 10 characters of mixed numbers and lower-case letters and I have checked it against that in the BTHomeHub and on a tablet, and the tablet can connect to the network just fine from the same position as the Hummy and with the same settings. I have, of course, tried this several times.

The only issue that I can think of is that I am using an Edimax range extender, and, although that works fine with two laptops, a tablet and two mobile phones, I did wonder if that is causing a problem. Unfortunately I cannot remove the extender from the network as things stand.

Has anyone got any ideas?

According to Humax, dongle will only accept a wireless code of upto 8 characters. (My router was 10, so had to change my router and all other connected devices in the house.)
But I still had problems, and Humax told me not to use the rear usb for the dongle. Not helpful to me!! But then found that with a short - 20cm - usb extension cable the rear usb would work fine.

I've changed by router's password to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz78901234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.

To make sure that my HDR-200T and router were not using an already established recognition the HDR-2000T was totally powered down. On rebooting my HDR-2000T then refused to reconnect with the router, or the router refused to connect with it. I tried to connect again using the old password, and it still failed.

The wifi password on the HDR-2000T was then updated to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz78901234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw and it successfully connected via wifi using that 63 character password.

What happened to xyz at the end? And stick a few spaces in, too.

I am not sure revealing your WiFi password on a public forum is wise.

Back