DTR-1000 Humax/YouView with no HDMI - massive fail!

AJD

So, it all started after I bought my Humax PVR in December. Plugged into HDMI, set it up, bingo. Great stuff.

Then I started getting a pink or purple screen - nothing else, and no way of sorting other than swtiching off and on again with main (rear) power switch. Not great - certainly an inconvenience - but not a huge problem. I went through the Humax-approved "maintenance mode" reset program, which didn't sort it... so not great at all. Now I have a new problem: I have no picture at all! I get the Humax startup screen and then, at the ponit at which it normally goes to the YouView splash screen and the helpful "Nearly ready..." updates, I get nothing - no signal to the TV at all. I can't even go through the maintenance screen, because of the same problem - I can't see the menu. I am now watching my Humax TV through SCART - terrible picture quality, but at least I can watch TV again! Having been on various YouView/Humax forums, it appears that this is quite a known HDMI problem - since at least June of this year (2013). Why hasn't there been a software update in the past 6 months to rectify this fairly fundamental problem? Crazy... Anyway, until a suitable HDMI solution is implemented I am watching TV with picture quality from 1977 (yay!)... or seeking a replacement technology. I think the Phillips PVR looks pretty good...

Does anyone else have a way of getting around this? Is there some HDMI adaptor that can rectify, or am I at the mercy of YouView who seem either completely incapable or completely uninspired to fix the problem for themselves?

It's a Sony Bravia - works on my Blu-ray player, and has worked with a Virgin V+ box until recently, and a Sky+ HD box before that.

We have found this typical of Sony TVs and HDR-FOX. You might have some success if you put an active HDMI matrix switch between them (the electronics in the switch provides separate handshaking at each end) or if you can put an AV amp in the chain.

Is there some HDMI adaptor that can rectify, or am I at the mercy of YouView who seem either completely incapable or completely uninspired to fix the problem for themselves?

Or at the mercy of [insert manufacturer's name] who seem incapable of getting the execrable HDMI HDCP working and always blame [insert second manufacturer's name] for all your woes.

As Black Hole says, you may just as well blame Sony/Yamaha/Samsung/Toshiba/Panasonic/Onkyo/... or the dolt who designed HDCP.

Hi, my Humax failed completely earlier this week following the pink screen and then a blank screen. Took off the lid and the CPU is overheating, need to change all 3 of the small electrolytic capacitors on the PSU board (all 3 same value) and change the 10 electrolytic capacitors on the main board (all 10 same value). Pay attention to the polarity! Brought them all off E Bay for around £8. have not yet fitted them but will post the results before the weekend.

I run my T2 and Foxsat into my Sony Bravia through an HDMI switch and have no problems.

So, it all started after I bought my Humax PVR in December. Plugged into HDMI, set it up, bingo. Great stuff.

Then I started getting a pink or purple screen - nothing else, and no way of sorting other than swtiching off and on again with main (rear) power switch. Not great - certainly an inconvenience - but not a huge problem. I went through the Humax-approved "maintenance mode" reset program, which didn't sort it... so not great at all. Now I have a new problem: I have no picture at all! I get the Humax startup screen and then, at the ponit at which it normally goes to the YouView splash screen and the helpful "Nearly ready..." updates, I get nothing - no signal to the TV at all. I can't even go through the maintenance screen, because of the same problem - I can't see the menu. I am now watching my Humax TV through SCART - terrible picture quality, but at least I can watch TV again! Having been on various YouView/Humax forums, it appears that this is quite a known HDMI problem - since at least June of this year (2013). Why hasn't there been a software update in the past 6 months to rectify this fairly fundamental problem? Crazy... Anyway, until a suitable HDMI solution is implemented I am watching TV with picture quality from 1977 (yay!)... or seeking a replacement technology. I think the Phillips PVR looks pretty good...

Does anyone else have a way of getting around this? Is there some HDMI adaptor that can rectify, or am I at the mercy of YouView who seem either completely incapable or completely uninspired to fix the problem for themselves?
I've just joined here and I am going through everything you describe here. After the past couple of weeks, I've had enough! I tried scart, different hdmi, removing ethernet and moving my router! These were just a few suggestions that others had success with. Strangely, moving the router resulted in a lot more channels being found. That was probably a fluke, but the box still failed. I just think this machine is fundamentally flawed and I want rid!

Hi, it's a hardware issue not firmware, the Broadcom chip under the heat-sink overheats and fails. It could be replaced but accurate placement is essential and you need the skill and kit to do it. Fit an extra heatsink or fan if it still works. Mine did this, its scrap now, going to get another and fit a bigger heat-sink.

Humax DTRT1000 HDMI Issue frequent Random Magenta image and YVM607 error. This may be of some help I had this problem and made an Hdmi breakout lead and put a scope on the i2c comms lines between the youview box and the tv. The Clock line works perfectly but when the fault is present the data line stays high with ripples on it when data should be present, so the tv gets no data and doesn’t respond therefore the YV box will not send images anymore.
The YV box processor heatsink was nearly too hot to touch, when sprayed with freezer the fault cleared. I got a 40mm 12volt fan and powered it via a 56ohm resistor from the yellow wire (12volt) disc drive power feed, so it was quiet and velcroed it to the side of the hard disc carrier in the YV box to blow over the processor. Haven’t seen the fault for a week now.

As to why fault seems to have occurred with new software, who knows, perhaps proc has a higher loading?

It might be of some use to someone, but you do realise that you are replying to a posts nearly two years old don't you?

Humax DTRT1000 HDMI Issue frequent Random Magenta image and YVM607 error. This may be of some help I had this problem and made an Hdmi breakout lead and put a scope on the i2c comms lines between the youview box and the tv. The Clock line works perfectly but when the fault is present the data line stays high with ripples on it when data should be present, so the tv gets no data and doesn’t respond therefore the YV box will not send images anymore.
The YV box processor heatsink was nearly too hot to touch, when sprayed with freezer the fault cleared. I got a 40mm 12volt fan and powered it via a 56ohm resistor from the yellow wire (12volt) disc drive power feed, so it was quiet and velcroed it to the side of the hard disc carrier in the YV box to blow over the processor. Haven’t seen the fault for a week now.

As to why fault seems to have occurred with new software, who knows, perhaps proc has a higher loading?

RE The above has proved to be a complete waste of time. all worked perfectly for about 3 weeks and then faults returned. Unit for the bin (or watch saved films via scart if that survives!)

RE The above has proved to be a complete waste of time. all worked perfectly for about 3 weeks and then faults returned. Unit for the bin (or watch saved films via scart if that survives!)
That's what happened to most of my Humax boxes, in the bin!

I was given another Humax DTRT1000 with exactly the same fault. It seems to be a bit of a feature. Do the newer Humaxes have this feature I wonder? eg the DTRT2110 or the BT one. The only reason i would ever want to buy another Humax is because of the RGB Scart output which i need. Any info would be very welcome.

Back