Want to install custom firmware but have a question about It

Thanks Graham, yes it was very difficult for me,but got their in the end ,thanks to you guys.. :) .

Will the upgrades reduce the life of my 3 Humax Foxsat HDR's,?.. I have a Humax freesat 320 GB "on offer", from a friend, (with a small dish on a balcony, so no 2E signal anymore ) ,maybe i should get it as a reserve box. ? .

Last edited:
Sorry , another question / prob, Anyone know why some programs would be now missing from the STB 1 program list ? But are still there ,and available from STB 1 recordings list when the program list is viewed on home network from STB 2?
for example, see in pic 2, on STB 1 there is now only 6 Miranda programs,(2 Missing), But in pic 1 STB2 still has showing the original 8 Miranda's recorded?
In other words, lots of recorded programs are now missing ,but in reality still on STB1 , but now not visible on the list from STB1
The missing programs are ones i have watched back (when testing the new setup) from STB1 to STB2

Attachments

• 100_0736.JPG
    100_0736.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0735.JPG
    100_0735.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sorry , another question / prob, Anyone know why some programs would be now missing on the STB 1 the program list

I think raydon's earlier comment is relevant here

Bearing in mind that he would also have to set up "fixfilepaths" to correct hmt's after playing anything via a crossmounted share.

Have you set up fixfilepaths?

Sorry,I don't know what a "fixfilepath" is :(
It's a Web interface plug-in. Install it just like you did with samba via the Package Management page - Available tab. And don't forget to read the help page which installs with the plug-in.

Last edited:
Fab :) the"fixfilepath" has sorted the prob , and the lost programs have magically reappeared, clever stuff , thank you very much.

Hello everyone .... I need your help again

The 3 Humax boxes are all working perfectly together, thanks to you clever guys on here on Hummy ,But now i would like to try to connect them to my iPad, Ive down loaded the apps " Humax Media Player and Humax Live tv" apps, but they don't work, any ideas what I'm doing wrong...

Ps I now have 4 Humax HDRs , just got my 4th Freesat Foxsat HDR 320Gb for 30 Euro :)

The Humax apps are for PVRs that have the remote control by tablet capability - ie not the HDR-FOX/FOXSAT era.

You need to say what you hope to be able to do with the iPad, and then we can advise how to accomplish that.

thanks for the speedy reply,
Sorry for not being clear, I would like to stream recorded programs and live tv from the Humax HDR to the iPad ,is it not possible due to the age of the box?

Live TV - not possible (or at least very tricky - might be possible on the FOXSAT with Nowster's patch by setting up Mediatomb to serve the time shift buffer; research is ongoing with the HDR-FOX but not currently a routine possibility). Use the TVCatchup app instead.

Recordings - no problem, you just need a media player app that can access an external DLNA source and is compatible with the TS format. You need Nowster's patch installed on a FOXSAT and the Mediatomb DLNA server package; on a HDR-FOX you just need the built-in DLNA server turned on for StDef recordings, and the auto-unprotect package installed for HiDef recordings.

Ok , sorry to be a bit thick , but where would i find the DLNA server "turn on" settings and Nowster's patch ? .

also, i don't want to mess up the current system as it is working great.

Edit, looking back at previous posts... seems I've already done Nowster HD patch, is there another/diffrent Nowster patch i need ?.

Last edited:
Ok , sorry to be a bit thick , but where would i find the DLNA server "turn on" settings .
I think you are getting confused by BH's reference to the built-in DLNA server. This only applies to the HDR/HD Fox T2 models. You have Foxsat HDR's which do not have a built-in server. Instead, this function is provided by one of the installable DLNA server packages. Either mediatomb, as already mentioned by BH, or TwonkyMedia v4 or v5 (both are available). I would try TwonkyMedia first as it does not need the initial configuration that mediatomb does. Once installed, an icon for the server will be present on the home page of the Web Interface. Be aware that the v5 version of TwonkyMedia does require you to buy a license so you will be as well to try v4 first. You can install Twonky and mediatomb together and see which works best for you, then simply uninstall the one you don't need. The servers can be individually stopped and started from the Service Management page of the web interface.
looking back at previous posts... seems I've already done Nowster HD patch, is there another/diffrent Nowster patch i need ?.
No, if you have previously installed the patch then that will suffice. All it does is ensure that all HD content is written to the hard disk in an unencrypted format so that it can be streamed to a DLNA client like your iPAD.

Last edited:
Thanks Raydon and Black Hole for taking time to help me
I finally got streaming working on my iPad using the "VLC" app ( the orange one with a traffic cone ) works perfectly. I can't live stream from the HDR (but can stream almost live if recording a program ) but that don't matter. just very happy with (with all the help from you guys) what i have achieved so far :)

Now as the HDRs are connected to home network . is it possible to view recordings even when not at home?
For example when my iPad is connected to a Hotel's wifi, could i view my recordings on iPad from one of the HDR's?

Its probably a step too far ,right ?

What's your upstream broadband speed? It's not impossible, but you are limited by the slow side of your home link.

The usual way to do such things is with a Slingbox.

Hello everyone , i need your help again.....

The custom firmware on my Foxsat HDRs was been working fab ....until i had to replace the hard-drive :-(
Now i get no response from the web interface?...well it finds the HDR fine....but none of the packages work...

So i thought the easiest thing to do was to put the HDR back to non custom firmware and start again from scratch!

So...how can i get the HDR back to standard firmware ?...I download the Original Firmware from Humax site ...but I cant get it to load on the HDR box.

Now i get no response from the web interface?
Why the question mark? Most of what drives the custom "firmware" resides on the HDD, so if you replace the HDD you will need to reinstate the components on it.

However, that should only be a case of re-installing from that stage - the first stage (of installing the components that are in FLASH) is already done.

Hello Black Hole....Thanks for you reply
The package management says "install" the right side...but won't install when i click on it ..I get what says in pic 2 ..But nothing has been added or Installed?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1e41.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e41.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 14
  • fullsizeoutput_1e43.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e43.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Have you tried clearing your browser cache? The Foxsat custom firmware isn't great at providing good cache management information to the browser.

Otherwise you can do a full custom firmware reset by connecting via telnet and typing:

Code:
rm /opt/etc/.DO_NOT_DELETE_THIS_FILE

and rebooting.

Back