Volume Control not working in HD

bxman1

I have a Foxsat-HDR box. I'm sure this is a new problem with it.

At first I thought it may be a heat related problem, but checking this morning on boot up it was still faulty

The volume control does not work on HD chans, but is fine on SD. Muting the speaker works OK and if I change the volume the mute comes off, but the control has no effect even though the on screen bar changes. The box is connected to the TV via HDMI, this I have changed but to no effect.

I have also done a reset again to no effect.

I'm puzzled, any ideas?

Bob S

I have a Foxsat-HDR box. I'm sure this is a new problem with it.

At first I thought it may be a heat related problem, but checking this morning on boot up it was still faulty

The volume control does not work on HD chans, but is fine on SD. Muting the speaker works OK and if I change the volume the mute comes off, but the control has no effect even though the on screen bar changes. The box is connected to the TV via HDMI, this I have changed but to no effect.

I have also done a reset again to no effect.

I'm puzzled, any ideas?

Bob S

It's down to the difference in the audio system used by HD channels (Dolby Digital - aka AC3) and SD channels that use the MP2 (mpeg1 layer 2) audio codec. For SD channels the box outputs lpcm stereo which is volume controlled at source). For ac3 the volume level is embedded in the data, it has to be decoded before it can be volume controlled).

The solution is the Foxsat TV set up menu. Set Digital Audio out to stereo and both HD and SD will work the same way.

Alternatively retain the default audio setting and adjust the volume level on a SD channel usinfg the Foxsat remote to about the same as a HD channel. Thereafter as Gomezz suggests use the TV/Amplifier volume to vary the volume for any channel.

Note that some TVs are able to respond to the embedded volume level data and control the output volume (when the audio preference is set to Multi-Channel), others do not.

Back