eBay vs. UK Consumer Law

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I bought some 64GB UPDs back in July. The project I had them in mind for got shelved for a bit, so I didn't try to use them until a few days ago. They proved to be crap, starting fast then slowing to a crawl, and not retaining data.

So I contacted the seller and asked for a return, the communication got ignored. I then triggered a return through eBay itself, and that got closed with no action. So then I escalated it (not easy - the link was well hidden), and the reply came back that the return was declined and I had no right of appeal.

Then I tried their support chat-bot, which said that as this was outside their 30-day returns window, there was nothing I could do. So then I escalated to an actual agent who repeated the 30-day thing and I should seek redress directly from the seller (who is clearly not interested) or via my payment method (credit card - I don't think they're interested under £100), and had the cheek to suggest I try Citizen's Advice!

I pointed out that under UK law a retailer is responsible for faulty goods for at least 6 months, so the 30-day limit does not apply in this case. The agent (claimed to) consult their management, and agreed to arrange a refund as a special case ("just for you"!). I said it needs to be passed up the line that the 30-day policy is incorrect.

Phew! What a struggle.

I would advocate tackling eBay on this at every opportunity, make it a problem for them until they revise their policy. However, if you can't be arsed:
  1. If an item has not arrived within the estimated delivery window, get a refund right away – do not allow any leeway because eBay's clock starts ticking on the estimated delivery date;
  2. Confirm the goods are not faulty ASAP (within 30 days of the estimated delivery date);
  3. If the goods become faulty outside 30 days, you're stuffed.

Last edited:
All good advice BH, I always advocate challenging the faulty goods suppliers, one recently got more upset with the one star/negative review I gave than issuing the refund!

Contrast your eBay experience with Amazon yesterday (Sunday). In April I purchased an expensive Kindle cover to replace one which had frayed over five years. The new one has already begun to fray. I contacted the supplier and within two hours had received a reply stating a new one would be sent out immediately and no need to return the faulty one.

Back