eWaste

prpr

I've just found out about this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechT...et_smart_home_devices_are_becoming_ewaste_at/
after I tried to look at something on the Gigaset Elements app. and found it had stopped working 2 weeks ago.

I've only got one device but it brings home to you the vulnerability of all this cloud-only cr@p when companies go bust.
It's very difficult to get anything that works locally without any need for a compulsory cloud tie-in though.

I've been vaguely interested in a few home devices over the years, but many seem to need their own WiFi widget plugged into the router rather than just being able to connect to the already present WiFi network. Given the extra cost, potential waste (as you've highlighted) and the lack of any spare ports on our router, I've quickly abandoned any idea of purchasing said devices.

I do have WiFi CCTV cameras which are connected to the WiFi directly and are internet enabled but I've let the subscription for remote recording lapse (it was pretty sh1t). They still work fine with their SD cards and AFAIK would continue even if the firm went bust. The lack of support/updates might eventually be a problem as might the withdrawal of the apps if that happened. A future problem anyway.

Well yes to some degree, but it requires the device to have some published API and/or be reverse-engineered, and to work even though the cloud server has gone away.
Trouble is, there's no standard and every manufacturer just (re-)invents their own ways of doing things. Some are better than others. I think the security of lots of these devices leaves quite a lot to be desired too.
Then there's the WPA3 thing, which most of them won't support.

I think the security of lots of these devices leaves quite a lot to be desired too.
Yes. I often access our cameras through the phone/tablet apps at home but was a bit surprised when I inadvertently tapped it while in the Canaries and was able to access the cameras as if at home. I don't remember authorising that. :confused:
It is quite useful so I haven't tried to disable it ... yet.

Back