Hd switch over Mendip transmitter

MALCY

On 3rd July bbc sd channels were changed to full HD. I then had to a retune which loaded on selector 1 BBc HD. All seem to be ok until my Toshiba TV operated :-

When the TV is switched into standby mode, the standby
LED can blink to indicate that features such as Standby
Search, Over Air Download or Timer is active. The LED can
also blink when you switch on the TV from standby mode

On coming out of stand bye all BBC channels on the original sd frequency number 32 had gone. On BBC freeview site it suggested doing a a clear scan with no aerial and then manual tuning for the mendip transmitter. However the problems still exists. I can still selected 101 which is not affected and is now showing BBC1 local. Also there is a new 611 channel for BBC1 SD that is listed on a full scan.

I have spoken to Toshiba and they say the stand bye flashing light red/green should not affect the cannel list. I logged a query with BBC freeview and am awaitng a reply. My signal strength for all Mendip channels is 100% for quality and signal. In any case there was no problems with reception before the change. For the record I have even done a factory reset.

My Toshiba is a Full SD purchased in April 2022.

Any ideas please

On 3rd July bbc sd channels were changed to full HD
No they were not. The StDef channels remain in place.

What happened was some BBC HiDef services which were once national are now regionalised, so instead of being BBC ONE HD it is now BBC ONE WestHD.

The definitive list of what you should be receiving is available by plugging your details into these websites:

You'll notice there is no LCN 611. There is something wrong with your tuning.

For those with modern Freeview Play devices connected to the internet, the BBC HD channels did move into the slots where the BBC SD channels used to be, for most UK regions.

This rearrangement of BBC TV freeview channels occurred on the 7th June, but possibly the TV needed a software update, or was not connected to the internet back then but is now.

For those who have a recent version of Freeview Play and are connected to the internet, 611 is the correct new home for BBC One SD

The links you are quoting is for the default LCNs for those who don't have a more recent version of Freeview Play, or are not connected to the internet.

For a current list that takes into account

For a bit of background detail see

Last edited:

What happened was some BBC HiDef services which were once national are now regionalised, so instead of being BBC ONE HD it is now BBC ONE WestHD.

The definitive list of what you should be receiving is available by plugging your details into these websites:

Many thanks for your reply. May be I did not make myself clear. After BBc sd was switched to Hd I returned and the TV loaded BBc1 hd into position 1in the channel list Also BBc 2,3, and four. The tv screen id shows when @1' is selected BBc west HD and the same for 2,3 and 4. now most of the day when after a period in stand by the set goes to all hd on 1,2, 4 and 23 for BBc 3. Now at the end of an evening viewing my particular Toshiba has a checking function which is indicated by the red stand by light flashing red and green for about 3 mins and the returning to stand bye. Now when coming out of stand by, the set cannot find any bbc hd or any bbc sd pictures at the positions in the channel list. 111e 1, 2 4 and 23. the set then goes to the first channel and shows itv for positions, all BBc channels are not listed on the programme guide. So I have do a manual retune for channel group 33 to restore.

I do not know if it is the set, the BBc mendip transmitter or my aerail whcih is over 9 years old and the signal is distributed through the house from a loft mains operated and cabling installed when the house was rewired. As stated before these HD changes the set worked fine and the signal strength and quality on all channels is 100%.

Obviously I can receive bbc1 hd by selecting 101 which now also has regional news etc.

Hope this is clear now,

A bit off topic for the original posting, but:

It seems phenomenally stupid to me to have the default channel numbers different on internet connected Freeview Play devices compared to disconnected or older devices. TV listing magazines like the Radio Times list the channel numbers for stations, and many older people like my aunt rely on these. What are they going go print now? They can't even list separate "Freeview Play" numbers because it depends whether it is internet connected or not.

Many thanks for your reply. May be I did not make myself clear. After BBc sd was switched to Hd I returned and the TV loaded BBc1 hd into position 1in the channel list Also BBc 2,3, and four. The tv screen id shows when @1' is selected BBc west HD and the same for 2,3 and 4. now most of the day when after a period in stand by the set goes to all hd on 1,2, 4 and 23 for BBc 3. Now at the end of an evening viewing my particular Toshiba has a checking function which is indicated by the red stand by light flashing red and green for about 3 mins and the returning to stand bye. Now when coming out of stand by, the set cannot find any bbc hd or any bbc sd pictures at the positions in the channel list. 111e 1, 2 4 and 23. the set then goes to the first channel and shows itv for positions, all BBc channels are not listed on the programme guide. So I have do a manual retune for channel group 33 to restore.

I do not know if it is the set, the BBc mendip transmitter or my aerail whcih is over 9 years old and the signal is distributed through the house from a loft mains operated and cabling installed when the house was rewired. As stated before these HD changes the set worked fine and the signal strength and quality on all channels is 100%.

Obviously I can receive bbc1 hd by selecting 101 which now also has regional news etc.

Hope this is clear now,
It is not the transmitter. The CLM (Channel List Management) changes that re-arrange the channels are software/internet based.

Have you checked that the Toshiba's software is up to date?

Is your internet switched on 24/7?

Are the traditional HD slots still working, both before and after the retuning?
Are the SD versions still in the 600s?

Last edited:
A bit off topic for the original posting, but:

It seems phenomenally stupid to me to have the default channel numbers different on internet connected Freeview Play devices compared to disconnected or older devices. TV listing magazines like the Radio Times list the channel numbers for stations, and many older people like my aunt rely on these. What are they going go print now? They can't even list separate "Freeview Play" numbers because it depends whether it is internet connected or not.
To help alleviate that BBC ONE HD for most Modern connected Freeview Play receivers will be in both LCN1 and LCN 101.

What I think I would find potential confusing is that when a TV thinks it has no internet connection, then it reverts back to the more established positions.

To help alleviate that BBC ONE HD for most Modern connected Freeview Play receivers will be in both LCN1 and LCN 101.

What I think I would find potential confusing is that when a TV thinks it has no internet connection, then it reverts back to the more established positions.
But what is the point of doing this via CLM? The change could just have easily been made to the actual over the air LCNs and then all devices would provide the same experience. I cannot understand what value anyone thinks doing this by CLM adds.

But what is the point of doing this via CLM? The change could just have easily been made to the actual over the air LCNs and then all devices would provide the same experience. I cannot understand what value anyone thinks doing this by CLM adds.
My problems relatesuing only aerail sourc programmes I do not have any internet for tv programmes

It is not the transmitter. The CLM changes that re-arrange the channels are software/internet based.

Have you checked that the Toshiba's software is up to date?

Is your internet switched on 24/7?

Are the traditional HD slots still working, both before and after the retuning?
Are the SD versions still in the 600s?

Using the sets internal checker it says non found. all group 36 cahnnels are lsot. if a fullscan is done then I get 611 for bbc sd

My problems relatesuing only aerail sourc programmes I do not have any internet for tv programmes
The programmes, and channels, still come via your aerial but the moving of BBC ONE SD to 611, and also the attempt to duplicate BBC ONE HD on channel numbers 101 and 1, comes from a lookup the box does on the internet.

Although the consultation is now over it and the non-confidential responses are still avaialble.

Section 3.1 is the relevant section for HD/SD substitution.

Channel List Management

In the context of Freeeview Play it's a bit more than just what is triggering the subject of this thread.
There is more details in section 9 of what everyoneTV call the Freeview Play Technical Specification.

I've read section 9, and all I see is needless complexity. It achieves nothing that couldn't have been achieved using normal broadcast LCNs. It is typical of the industry to add more complexity just for the sake of it.

I know nothing of Freeview Play, but it sounds very confusing (and patently stupid). As the OP says he's not using an Internet connection, my original comments stand.

I know nothing of Freeview Play, but it sounds very confusing (and patently stupid). As the OP says he's not using an Internet connection, my original comments stand.
The OP stated that an internet connection was not used for TV programmes. That is not the same as the TV not having an internet connected.
Also most of the description is as expected for a modern Toshiba connected TV. It would be a mighty coincidence if these were not triggered by freeview play's CLM.

Well the problem may be solved. Having use the 'chat' help service at Toshiba they sent me a usb stick with an update. I havd to a factory reset with the stick inserted and a full returne. Now the BBC channels for standard channels for bbc1 west and standard for BBC 2, 4 and BBc 3. Teh bbc1 on 101 is BBc West. So I hope this has resolved the problem, the next 24 hours will confirm,

Many thanks for your comments

Back