Assume v. Presume

Yes, and I've been wracking my brain to remember where I saw a huge sign painted on the gable end of a hotel that said something like "28 Room's".

Auto-correct must take some of the blame for examples shown, and signwriters the rest - if your profession was to laboriously paint lettering over a shop, wouldn't you make some effort to see that what you were painting was correct??

What about the huge 'solw' etc. road markings that have been spotted from time to time?
wouldn't you make some effort to see that what you were painting was correct??
Only if I could be assed and suspected that my grasp of the English language grammar and punctuation was not as good as it could be.

Who was that person who stood outside cinemas in London with an apostrophe on a stick during screening of "Two Weeks' Notice"?

Edit: Lynne Truss

But she has had her moments. Writing an article about apostrophe abuse for The Daily Telegraph last spring, for instance, Truss held aloft a 6-inch apostrophe on a stick in Leicester Square, strategically placing it so that the offensively titled Hugh Grant film "Two Weeks Notice" became, for a short, giddy interval, "Two Weeks' Notice." But what was most striking was how few people took her point.

As she once said:

If you dont know how to use apostrophes, you dont know you're s**t.

Last edited:
"Keep clear", "bus" and "school" cause road painters a problem or two - "Keep claer"/"Keer cleap", "sus" and "shcool"/"skool" being some of the mistakes.

How can that be? The road markings are stencilled, and I can understand the letters going down in the wrong order (especially when the whole word is outside their field of view), but where could they get a "k" from???

The latest (of the interminable supply of almost the same thing every week) CPC catalogue says "stroage" in it.

We will soon find out what BH looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it's free for him to get out of Wales into England over the Severn Bridges, it costs him to go back, so I doubt it's him!

I'm not sure about afterward(s). Probably depends on the context.
They are both correct, the s form is supposed to be more formal, but to whom?

I always confuse looking forward with looking forwards.

An alternative medicine reviewer on Amazon, which I assume means quack, used to describe it as complimentary medicine. I am sure it was neither polite nor free!

Back