Assume v. Presume

Me vs. I.

Over the space of about 5 minutes this morning, with the TV on in the background, I've heard both misused! "Me" is almost excusable, but saying "I" when it should correctly be "me" is (I think) a failed attempt to talk proper!

I regularly visit a couple for dinner, and the man corrected his wife for saying "me", when that was correct. I kept my mouth firmly shut (I want to stay welcome)!

In case anyone reading this doesn't know (as if!): the typical situation goes something like "my colleagues and I" or "me and my colleagues" (replace "my colleagues" with any number of alternatives). How to choose? If the sentence construction not including the colleagues would use "I", then use the "I" version (and vice versa).

"I went to the shop" becomes "my colleagues and I went to the shop" not "me and my colleagues went to the shop", because me didn't go to the shop – I did.

By the opposite token, "he threatened me" does not become "he threatened my colleagues and I"!!!

but saying "I" when it should correctly be "me" is (I think) a failed attempt to talk proper!
I blame the former Queen. Everyone tried copying her, incorrectly.
I kept my mouth firmly shut
:eek:

I/me, train/railway etc. - context is everything, but people are not interested and are mostly just ignorant.
Me's given up with 'em.

"I kept my mouth firmly shut"

:eek:
:rolling:

I/me, train/railway etc. - context is everything, but people are not interested and are mostly just ignorant.
Me's given up with 'em.
One of my pet peeves is people referring to the KKK as the Klu Klux Klan. And when did the spelling of clan change? (Ditto for Krispy Kreme and Kwik Fit - ignorant bar stewards!)

One of my pet peeves is people referring to the KKK as the Klu Klux Klan. And when did the spelling of clan change? (Ditto for Krispy Kreme and Kwik Fit - ignorant bar stewards!)
One of my pet peeves is people referring to the KKK as the Klu Klux Klan when it should be Ku Klux Klan ;)

X: @NCT_Buses said:
Roadworks are taking place on Parliament Street outside the old Wilko/Argos stores.

The bus stops in this area cannot be served by Lilac 25, 26, 27; Red 50 or Turquoise 77, 78, 79.

Delays like on all services
(My emphasis)
A missing "y" or something else?

The local Conservative MP has just sent me a survey about recycling.
IMG_20240407_115910514_MFNR~3.jpg
What is Q3? How can I give more details? As I answer the nonexistent question my answer changes, so the "more details" change. Therefore the answer changes...I detect a stack overflow!

Suppose it does mean Q2 – how much more detail can you give other than to agree or disagree?!! (And there really ought to be a "don't know".)

Back