Assume v. Presume

I would accept "controller" as a noun representing a unit comprising a collection of controls, but "control" itself is singular and therefore describes an individual button or knob.

I stand by my analysis: "handset" is the noun and "remote control" is a compound adjective comprising a verb and an adverb (I think - to control remotely).

Last edited:
The best outcome here, on a technicality, would be for an 'agree to disagree' scenario, to which I will subscribe after making one last defence of my position.

I still maintain that the great majority of people hearing the phrase' 'remote control' when used in the context of electronic equipment would immediately think of the device that remotely controls said electronic device, but only a very small minority would immediately associate the word 'handset' with the same thing They would be far more likely to associate it with a telephone handset and wonder how you are going to remotely control your TV with a telephone handset.

Having said that, my mobile phone handset has an IR output, and with an associated app, I can actually control my TV from the remote position of my couch. ;)

What evidence do you need? Is an adjective not a qualifying word, describing a property of the noun?
Yes, but not all modifying words are adjectives. Think of "telephone directory". "Telephone" is a "qualifying word" in this case, describing a property of the "directory" - but "telephone" is clearly not an adjective, and it is perfectly reasonable to use "telephone" as a noun in its own right.

I would accept "controller" as a noun representing a unit comprising a collection of controls, but "control" itself is singular and therefore describes an individual button or knob.
Here the dictionary is of little help. The OED defines "control" as "A switch or other device by which a device or vehicle is regulated". I would argue that the object we are discussing is a device, singular, but since it is a collection of switches you could also consider it as a plural...

But then "control" has only become dignified in the dictionary with a noun listing because of language slippage...

As to the classification and nomenclature, I did say (in the other thread) that I am not terribly au fait with it. I would welcome some instruction.

But then "control" has only become dignified in the dictionary with a noun listing because of language slippage...
According to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/control , "control" has been used as a noun since 1590. I take your point (in the other thread) about verbs that have recently become nouns, but to protest about a change that happened over 400 years ago is, IMHO, taking "traditionalism" too far...

As to the classification and nomenclature, I did say (in the other thread) that I am not terribly au fait with it. I would welcome some instruction.
I think MikeSh's link explains it well. The phrase "noun as adjective" was new to me, too.

I am finding it very difficult to think of a use for the use of "control" as a noun that would be applicable in the 16th century.

As a very old custom, hostages were used to control behaviour.
I've no idea whether they were referred to in this fashion but ...

Back