Assume v. Presume

Yeah, but it's not bionic. Robotic, maybe. I take "bionic" to mean a synthesis of robotics and biology - as per the Million Dollar Man or a cyborg. Royal Caribbean's PR people probably don't understand the nuances of the techno-words, and used "bionic" because of the alliteration.

Yeah, but it's not bionic. Robotic, maybe. I take "bionic" to mean a synthesis of robotics and biology - as per the Million Dollar Man or a cyborg. Royal Caribbean's PR people probably don't understand the nuances of the techno-words, and used "bionic" because of the alliteration.
Another definition of bionic is 'lifelike'

Is that "lifelike" as in "after six hours of being served drinks it became my best friend"?

Sorry, lifelike is not a definition I would accept - cite examples?

According to a well-known free encyclopedia, in German, "Bionik" refers to the development of engineering solutions from biological models. A robot where any part of the design resembles a biological part could fall into this definition. I rather think that, in this case, bionic has been chosen to rhyme with gin and tonic.
Why is it a Quantum ship? Are they uncertain as to where it is, or how much momentum it has?

That would mean anything "robotic" is also "bionic", since "mechanical" does not equal "robotic". Not good enough.

Not sure. The German definition does say "engineering solutions from biological models". So a robotic car is unlikely to be bionic. A robotic barman with cocktail shaker might be bionic "auf Deutsch".

It gets more confusing when the advert refers to robotic bartenders, laser precision, and a mechanical bar-bot. So that's a quantum ship, with a bionic bar, robotic bartender, laser precision, and a mechanical bar-bot. Sounds like a lot of male cow deposit from the PR department.

Why is it a Quantum ship? Are they uncertain as to where it is, or how much momentum it has?
A definition of quantum (Wikipedia) is: ... the minimum amount of any physical entity involved in an interaction.
So as this is a 'ship' I assumed it must be a very small one, maybe a few inches long.

A quantum would be immeasurable. Why do people say "immeasurably" when they mean "beyond measure"? (I won't drag up the old soap-box of quantum leaps.)

The Chambers definition of quantum is totally wrong. On the other hand, I am not sure there is a correct definition in physics anyway.

To paraphrase Niels Bohr, anyone who says they can define quantum does not understand it ... and neither does anyone who can't.

Definitely.

This topic is about being pedantic in the use of language. I would baulk at describing autonomous vehicles as robotic.
Unfortunately, even engineers are not being pedantic with this one. http://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/self-driving/how-we-gave-sight-to-the-mercedes-robotic-car
Searching on the IEEE site finds that one item with robotic+car as search terms. Autonomous+car returns 12 articles and blogs, and then lists them with titles including "Robocar", "Robotic Taxi" and "Robotic Car". Didn't see any mention of a bionic car though.
Even the IET has made this error. http://eandt.theiet.org/news/2013/feb/robot-car.cfm?origin=EtOtherNews.

What does beyond measure mean. I can't measure anything over 16ft with my tape measure, let alone to infinity. How far is infinity anyway?
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” offers this definition of the word “Infinite.” INFINITE: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some. Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real “wow, that’s big,” time. Infinity is just so big that by comparison, bigness itself looks real titchy. Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we’re trying to get across here.”​

Infinite: in one-to-one correspondence with a strict subset of itself.

(mathematical definition)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back