Change Two Letters Game

BH, adjudicate please.
Shit, I don't know! The prospect of somebody sneaking a post in and invalidating somebody else slower off the mark is part of the game. The problem is if the invalidated word is then edited to suit the new situation - but another play is already in the offing...

I think Trev didn't see Worst, and then RobH1 either didn't see Beast or didn't see it edited to Burst - the protocol if he had seen Beast should have been to challenge it rather than ignore it. Tricky...

If we say no editing allowed from here on, and apply that in this case to resolve the current valid word in the chain, we are left with Corsets, with Trev & RobH1 in nib.

I followed West with Beast, but prpr posted Worst whilst I was 'composing' so I crossed out the invalid Beast and followed Worst with Burst, but once again, Rob got in with Corset whilst I was editing.
OK, No edits.

This perfectly illustrates the problem of concurrent access to data between threads with no locking. #programmerproblems

Collect

This business about proper nouns (or adjectives, or whatever) has been bugging me. If we take a proper noun as the name of a specific thing, so "John" identifies a particular person (albeit there being lots of Johns), then (say) "agapanthus" identifies a particular type of plant but does not individualise it, and therefore is not a proper noun (although it is tempting to capitalise it).

Collie is a breed of dog, but not a proper noun unless the dog happens to be called Collie.

Wales is a proper noun, because it uniquely identifies a specific country from the set of all countries (that are independent states...). However, a person from Wales belongs to set "Welsh", and is not uniquely identified by the adjective, therefore "Welsh" is not a 'proper adjective' (and by that token there is no such thing as a 'proper adjective'), despite it being spelt with a capital.

I get into more of a tangle with the likes of "Mondeo". Clearly this is commonly regarded as a proper noun, but it does not uniquely identify a specific individual car. Sigh.

What about days of the week, and months? Surely one is allowed to play those on a Scrabble board, and yet they are proper nouns, are they not?

OK, I'll admit to being a little mischievous with Welsh. I thought of it but then wondered about proper names, so checked the rules. I thought "OK, it also means 'reneged' or similar as well", so decided to proceed with it anyway. I was then faced with the capitalisation issue. I considered making the w lower-case for clarity, but the general 'rule' followed so far in the thread is to capitalise first letters ... ummm. So I capitalised and waited to see what happened.
And it did :)

(BH, were you drinking when you wrote the rules - "Scrabble disctionaries!")

Back