fixdisk errors - new hdd required?

Victoria

Hi all,
Have two old HDR Fox T2 that I've run fixdisk on. They both connect via HMDI to the TV and I get the tv channels, so thats good.
Wondering if these are just a try a new HDD or, for #1 anything else to try first? Am assuming for #2,the HDD is completely dead, unless there is some other connection issue.

Any thought?
Ta

The errors that fixdisk comes out with are:

HDR Fox T2 #1
fixdisk:
Running /bin/fix-disk
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Input/output error
Could not determine drive sector size, assuming 512

Checking disk sda (512 byte sectors)

Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3

/bin/fix-disk: line 674: arithmetic syntax error
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 2

Fox T2 #2 (there is squeaking on boot up)
fixdisk:
Running /bin/fix-disk
Unable to find a disk
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 1

"Arithmetic syntax error"???

Sounds like you've found a bug in fix-disk, possibly a cascade from the previous failed identification (perhaps it was not a good idea for fix-disk to press on regardless).

At first sight, to me, and presuming you're running the latest CF, both look terminal.

Thanks @Black Hole that's what I thought.

Any comment on below
(For T2 #3 - dead or not dead HDD?)

Checking partition tables...

MBR Status: MBR only
GPT Status: not present

Partition sda1 - Unrecognised partition type, aborting...

Hi all,
Have two old HDR Fox T2 that I've run fixdisk on. They both connect via HMDI to the TV and I get the tv channels, so thats good.
Wondering if these are just a try a new HDD or, for #1 anything else to try first? Am assuming for #2,the HDD is completely dead, unless there is some other connection issue.

Any thought?
Ta

The errors that fixdisk comes out with are:

HDR Fox T2 #1
fixdisk:
Running /bin/fix-disk
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Input/output error
Could not determine drive sector size, assuming 512

Checking disk sda (512 byte sectors)

Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3

/bin/fix-disk: line 674: arithmetic syntax error
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 2

Fox T2 #2 (there is squeaking on boot up)
fixdisk:
Running /bin/fix-disk
Unable to find a disk
Before you attempted fixdisk were you able to access the disk in normal use, i.e. play existing recordings, make new recordings
What does webif->Diagnostics->Disk Diagnostics show

Thanks @Black Hole that's what I thought.
Me too. Bin the disks.
Partition sda1 - Unrecognised partition type, aborting...
Just sounds like you need to partition and format it. Do it from the on-screen menu.

It would help if you stated the version of CF you are using, and the output from smartctl -a /dev/sda on these various disks.
You could also run this: sed -n "674p" /bin/fix-disk to give us a first clue about the arithmetic error.

CF 3.13

Will run those lines of code and see what happens.

I'm going to have a go at copying? off the one hard drive that does work! Over the network? Just to have a go.
(and if that works, and I get the others working, then I might just have to get a wifi dongle as I can't keep the ethernet cable lying about for much longer! - elderly parents liability!)

Oops, reading the wiki, doesn't look like I can copy the SD programmes off the hard drive as I can't access the menu to be able turn content share on (unless.... I had for some reason done that originally, whoch is doubtful).

Aw well. The programmes aren't important. It more a 'let's see' thing.

The setting can be turned on by the boot-settings package. Or you can (software) decrypt on another box or a PC, as long as you get the key from the old one.

Back