Since we'll all be locked in our houses, Coronavirus

As far as I know, the first time you use a new card, you must use the PON, after that the contact less is enabled (whether you want it or not).

I'm getting a bit p'd off with people (cyclists on the pavement, runners) getting within 1m.
The official advice is not closer than 2m for more than 30 seconds. The point is that so long as you are not within sneeze radius when a sneeze actually happens...

Heavy breathing? Not sure.

As far as I know, the first time you use a new card, you must use the PON, after that the contact less is enabled (whether you want it or not).

That was my experience too. A London Underground ticket barrier reader refused my brand new contactless card. Having visited an ATM and entered the PIN number the barrier then subsequently worked.

Oh, thanks. I didn't realise we could use a debit card instead of Oyster... not that I've ever done either.

The Bristol buses use an app which displays a QR code to optically scan (you get discounted travel by pre-paying), but I guess they might take contactless too.

My impression was wrong. Just used somebody else's card to pay for less than £8 goods - first time contactless - no PIN required.
if it was someone else's, how do you know they haven't used pin already.

unless they have changed the rules, you had to use pin once before contactless

My wife had a replacement HSBC debit card last week, and the letter that came with it said contactless won't be enabled until one transaction had been done with the PIN.

She didn't actually try using contactless first, so it might have worked if the letter was BS.

if it was someone else's, how do you know they haven't used pin already.
The PIN has been used, but not for contactless. How do I know? As the card's owner is a dementia sufferer it could be possible. But as she can't remember how to use the card or what the PIN is, I'd say it's very unlikely.
and the letter that came with it said contactless won't be enabled until one transaction had been done with the PIN.
Now that's more likely. I didn't understand. I thought the very first contactless transaction required the PIN. If it just means that a card-in-slot transaction with PIN is required then that has been done with the card. So it all makes sense now. :confused:

My wifes recent replacement NatWest debit card had to be used once with chip and pin before contactless was enabled.

Oh, thanks. I didn't realise we could use a debit card instead of Oyster... not that I've ever done either.
Some of my local buses now allow debit cards instead of "The Robin Hood Card" ( :rolleyes: The Nottingham version of Oyster). Not tried it yet. Robin Hood gives discount on some bus operators and automatically sorts out single and all-day fares. AFAIK debit card does not.

I thought the very first contactless transaction required the PIN
No contactless transaction requires a PIN. If an attempted contactless transaction is declined, you are invited to insert your card and enter the PIN. Occasionally, a contactless transaction is declined by routine, to verify it is still the cardholder using it.

Your PIN cannot be verified without insering the card, because verification is a cryptographic challenge-response system which requires the secure communication of non-wireless.

I was watching the Apollo 13 docu in freesat hd and the macho before the mission is quite astounding: we'll show you that there is nothing unlucky about number 13 , we even launch at 13 past something hr. oh, how that exploded, sic, into their faces.

I just ventured out for the first time since lock down 3 weeks ago to do a food shop, I was expecting a much worse experience. Straight in to Boots to pick up a prescription and out in 5 minutes, not a single other person there at the pharmacy counter then onto Tesco's, no queue, plenty of veg, loo roll, paracetamol, UHT milk and fresh, pasta and flour with the only half depleted shelves being in the beer/cider aisle. Not sure if it was just my wise choice of choosing to wait until the afternoon of Easter Monday but I guess I will find out next time.

Us too, straight to Aldi , no queue, although someone was on hand to restrict entry if needed. Customers observing distancing, all very civil. Two/three week shop done in 20 mins, then back to prison.

Back