Assume v. Presume

Garden centre: typical. LED sign: if it was a matrix array, maybe EMRGENCY fitted but EMERGENCY wouldn't fit without scrolling?

No, that were inserted in BUGGLESKELLEY, lad.

(Just leave the E out: nobody'll notice.)

Seen yesterday on those temporary yellow signs used for road works:

No HGV's
Local delivery's only

Seemingly almost everyone appears to be illiterate these days.

Million Pound Drop: question said "fewer" when it should have been "fewest".

I forget what I was listening to, but the other day there was somebody spouting on about cynicism when he meant scepticism. Scepticism is to be dubious about something, cynicism is to be dubious about the motive behind something.

I know what the programme was now: R4 "Agree to Differ" (in the Moral Maze slot)

Last edited:
Heard on the Radio 4 news Sunday morning: child abusity.

Why is nobody talking about paedophilia? Why only child abuse? It seems like a paedophile ring on an industrial scale to me.

Bungalows are houses
Really? In my book bungalows and houses are mutually exclusive subsets of the set "dwellings".
Your book is wrong then, BH
According to who?
but you are using sophistry to avoid the contradiction
No, just illustrating the definition. Where I grew up the set "bungalow" does not intersect the set "house".
You are at odds with Bangla Ghar, the OED, Collins and just about every other dictionary, then. Your definition of a house must be weird and non-standard.:duel:
Are you sure the dictionaries are not being too loose in their definitions, eg defining "bungalow" as a "single storey house" when they ought to say "single storey dwelling"?

If a bungalow is a type of house, what do you call a house so as to specify a dwelling that is neither a bungalow, flat, shack, studio, apartment...? No, sorry, when I say house I mean house and not bungalow, flat, shack... although I might also use "house" euphemistically to mean "dwelling".

Two storey house. Or three storey house. How often do you want to distinguish a non - bungalow house? Not enough to invent a separate word.

If all the dictionaries disagree with, you assume you are wrong.

So how do you define what most people might call a tower block? Does the three story dwelling fall into this class.

So how do you define what most people might call a tower block? Does the three story dwelling fall into this class.
I think a tower comes under 'many', as in one, two, a few, many (floors in this case). A three, four, and a few more probably, would fall in the 'few' category. Well that's my take on it anyway.

Two storey house. Or three storey house. How often do you want to distinguish a non - bungalow house? Not enough to invent a separate word.
I don't have to invent a separate word, there is one in use already.

If all the dictionaries disagree with, you assume you are wrong.
If all the dictionaries disagree with what is obvious, why not assume they are out of date or that they copied each other's homework?

If you live on all the floors of a tower block maybe, but otherwise a tower block is a collection of flats or apartments.

BH, you make me laugh sometimes! What you say is not obvious, nobody thinks a bungalow is not a house apart from you, and I can only assume you are trying to dig yourself out of a deep hole. Have another spade.

Now, if you said a flat had to be on one floor we might all agree...

Back