Assume v. Presume

According to some Nationwide Building Society advertising: "They say money makes the world go [a]round. We think it's people."

Strange that. I thought it was angular momentum.

Inertia and lack of damping are the reasons it continues rotating. Gravity (space-time curvature) is the reason it continues going round the sun.

The force towards the centre is centripetal. There is no such thing as centrifugal force. If there were no force towards the centre, the body in question would carry on in a straight line rather than trace an orbital path.

Are you criticising my lack of commas, or is there an echo around here, here, here, here.
Or perhaps ending a sentence with a preposition?
Shouldn't it really be "that to which I was referring."?
Or is it all a load of blx?

Angular momentum is a second order construct. The basics are, in this case ,Newton's laws and gravity. Angular momentum is a way of simplifying the laws of motion for, in this case, a rigid body motion (the earth) under a gravitational field (mostly, the sun). Angular momentum doesn't cause anything to happen: Newton's laws cause AM to be conserved. If A implies B and A implies C it doesn't follow that B implies C!

Newton's laws and lack of friction are the fundamentals. If you want to simplify even further, conservation of momentum and space-time curvature cause the earth to go round the sun. I am not sure angular momentum is even conserved, nor that a rotating rigid body even makes sense.

In general relativity, the earth doesn't necessarily rotate, and, equally well, the sun can be considered as going round the earth, if your frame is fixed in the earth.

In any case "The World" indicates "The Universe" and I am not sure that goes round either, money or not.:frantic:

Mike said:
Angular momentum doesn't cause anything to happen
But if it goes away, we will be in all kinds of global warming trouble.
(There, got it into the conversation)

I saw an advert for IMPATIEN plants in a garden centre at the weekend. I saw an LED sign saying EMRGENCY on the news about the US riots. Is there somethng about 8 letters I am missing?

Back