Assume v. Presume

There are many situations where some individuals either choose not to compete or are not allowed to compete due to allegiances to one federation or another - how can the "overall best" ever be decided? It can only ever be "the best player/team out of those who chose or were permitted to enter the tournament, based on their performance in each individual match at that moment". 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc places in a knock-out tournament are almost meaningless. World rankings which aggregate the results from all tournaments a player/team competes in are supposed to address this, and are probably as close as it is possible to get.

What annoys me is the Baseball "World" Series, where only teams from America play!

Best at the time of play? Surely you can have scissors-paper-stone situations where team A beats team B, team B beats team C and team C beats team A.

Yes, the lack of sport is refreshing, but the Glasgow games are just round the corner...

As for ranking, it is often assumed to be a total ordering, but it isn't even a partial ordering!

Seen in the Betterware catalogue: "Each pen is 6 grams in volume". I wonder how many litres it is in length.

Either means one or the other of two. You cannot extend it to three. It makes no sense. It is wrong.

I don't care anyway. You would need to offer an alternative to "either" that I could use. Are you suggesting I slip into code mode with an If.. Elseif.. Else structure?

That would be a good alternative that would possibly satisfy prpr's 'either/multiple or' denial. You could also use the Case statement as in
Select Case
Case 1
{Statement}
Case 2
{Statement}
Etc.
End Case

Back