Assume v. Presume

"Passes" as an abbreviated euphemism for "dies"! I hate that!! Consign to 101!!!
Agreed. It's another facet of our uncomfortable relationship with natural life-cycles.

As to the use of periods in initials I'd (subconsciously) come to the conclusion that they were largely unnecessary these days. Most (all?) instances are acronyms and where these form a real word it works better without the stops, so for consistency it makes sense to always leave them out.

With personal initials the use of punctuation in addresses also seems to have been abandoned in general (just the comma between house number and road is occasionally present). So although it may not be correct I generally don't use stops between the letters of initials or acronyms.

"Passes" as an abbreviated euphemism for "dies"! I hate that!! Consign to 101!!!
Rest in peace, too. Terrible phrase, the person is dead, not resting!

Mind you, it's best not to have an argument with the relatives at the funeral.

It isn't a dot, it's a full stop.

˙com?

·com?

I don't think so!:duel:

Full stops only occur at the end of a sentence. A symbol which is typographically identical to the symbol used as a full stop occurs in many contexts, not least as the separator in a URL - and in that case it is customary to pronounce it as "dot". Thus a URL "www.dot.com" should be pronounced ..."dot dot com", and I have requested (but not so far received) an example of when it isn't.

Full stops only occur at the end of a sentence. A symbol which is typographically identical to the symbol used as a full stop occurs in many contexts, not least as the separator in a URL - and in that case it is customary to pronounce it as "dot". Thus a URL "www.dot.com" should be pronounced ..."dot dot com", and I have requested (but not so far received) an example of when it isn't.

A period indicates a full stop, and appears in many contexts: abbreviations, initials, ends of sentences, URLs, etc. It always sits on the baseline. But a dot can sit anywhere: on the math axis, in an i, in a superscript position, etc. ·˙̣̣̣̣̣̣̣ׅׄ͘(←Your screen is dirty!)

If it is customary to call the thing in a URL a dot then you, of all people, BH, should be fighting the slovenly degrading of the term. When have you ever agreed with usage as opposed to precision? :disagree:

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly/is/ customary to call the thing in a URL a dot... and I don't know anyone who calls a full stop a period this side of the pond.

It certainly/is/ customary to call the thing in a URL a dot... and I don't know anyone who calls a full stop a period this side of the pond.
Definition #23 in my copy of Chambers Dictionary. Period!

Back