Assume v. Presume

Swashbuckling. What is that all about? Nobody swashbuckles, do they?

Also, do you favour pronunciation of -ing as in, (nasal), ing, or iŋg?

IS or I.S.? One looks ugly (to reflect the group) and the other is IS.

It's only "is" if the whole sentence was in upper case! I'm still trying to work out what the dots are replacing in "O.K.".

Hyphens seem to have gone out of fashion. "Hot smoked salmon" (seen on packaging - I bought some at the weekend - and that's not a hyphen, that's a dash!). Is that smoked salmon served hot, or salmon that is hot smoked? We know what it is, but it would be clear if it was labelled "hot-smoked salmon" (or in German: hotsmokedsalmon).

But how would the Germans say 'hot smoked salmon' as opposed to hot-smoked salmon'? And as a matter of interest, can you get cold-smoked salmon? Where does the cold smoke come from. I always thought that smoke came from fire of some sort which must be hot.

But smoke can go cold once it's been produced, in the same way as other things that are hot go cold.

I believe O.K. originated from early 1800's in the U.S.A. as an abbreviation of "oll korrect" a variation of "all correct".

If my belief is correct then the spelling should be O.K.

Now I'm wondering when U.S.A lost its dots think apple corrective text may have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And as a matter of interest, can you get cold-smoked salmon?
"Normal" smoked salmon is indeed cold-smoked - the smoke is allowed to cool before it reaches the salmon so it cures rather than cooks, and results in a nasty slimy stuff that I don't appreciate at all. Hot-smoked salmon is basically cooked salmon with a smokey flavour (mmm!). Hot smoked-salmon is my way of making smoked salmon palatable - give it a quick blast in the microwave.

Last edited:
I believe O.K. originated from early 1800's in the U.S.A. as an abbreviation of "oll korrect" a variation of "all correct".

If my belief is correct then the spelling should be O.K.

Now I'm wondering when U.S.A lost its dots think apple corrective text may have something to do with it.
Thanks for this, I suppose I could have googled but it's good to see what stuff The Collective knows. So we have an initialism of an outmoded spelling then (sounds a bit German...).

U.S.A. is fussy and untidy. USA is normal now.

152118070.jpg
?

Thanks for this, I suppose I could have googled but it's good to see what stuff The Collective knows. So we have an initialism of an outmoded spelling then (sounds a bit German...).

I have to admit I had to google to remind myself! My collective brain cells seem to keep place markers but not full definitions these days!

"The abbreviation fad began in Boston in the summer of 1838 and spread to New York and New Orleans in 1839. The Boston newspapers began referring satirically to the local swells as OFM, "our first men," and used expressions like NG, "no go," GT, "gone to Texas," and SP, "small potatoes."

"Many of the abbreviated expressions were exaggerated misspellings, a stock in trade of the humorists of the day. One predecessor of OK was OW, "oll wright," and there was also KY, "know yuse," KG, "know go," and NS, "nuff said.""

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/503/what-does-ok-stand-for

But how would the Germans say 'hot smoked salmon' as opposed to hot-smoked salmon'?

heißgeräucherten Lachs (hot-smoked salmon)
kaltgeräucherten Lachs (cold-smoked salmon)
warmer Räucherlachs (hot smoked-salmon)

(I 'phoned a friend!)

At least they don't have the additional /hot/ ambiguity as they have a separate word for spicy-hot!

Spicy is not the same as hot. I think fiery is closer?

My Christmas cake was spicy but it was not hot.
My fiery curry was very hot.
My chilli relish was very fiery.

So spicy food could be hot or cold but fiery food is always hot even when it's cold!

Well, surely you have been in a situation where someone has said 'hot' and you've had to clarify which one they mean?

Of course when a woman is described as hot it does not mean she is spicy or fiery nor dies it indicate her temperature.

If an undertaker overtakes you, what does that make you? Dead slow?

Back