Interesting Items...

I shall not extend this debate further than to say it is never my intention to cast the first stone.

There is so much that is good on TED: Dawkins preaching for militant atheism, Sam Harris arguing that morality is a subject of scientific investigation, Michael Shermer on weird beliefs, but here is a fun video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/al_seckel_says_our_brains_are_mis_wired

miracle.gif

While I was in Maplin I had a look around and saw this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tvman-home-wifi-tv-hotspot-a89nj

Apparently it contains a DVB-T tuner and streams TV by WiFi to your home network, or can link ad-hoc to a computer/tablet/whatever within WiFi range. I haven't gone into the details so I don't know whether you also control it from a browser interface, but it seems likely. It also has a USB connection for an external drive and can record to it.

For £70 it solves a problem that we have had enquiries for in the past "how can I stream live video from HDR-FOX".

It's pretty short on detail (Maplin really are hopeless these days, and I speak as a (formerly mostly happy) customer from about 1977).
How do you know it does DVB-T? It doesn't even say that. Does it really not do T2? I wouldn't buy anything that didn't these days...

Interesting items of information on the ITV commentary for the Tour de France:

1 The reservoirs on the Woodhead Pass are in fact part of the Ladybower Reservoir on the Snake Pass. So how does the water flow up and down a 2000' hill? Or simultaneously to the Irish and North Seas?

Image1.jpg

2 The Ladybower Reservoir was used by the Dam Busters for practice because of the two turrets on the dam:

2012081982.jpg

And not this one?

6082131_3.jpg
Why do the RAF do a fly-past of the Derwent Dam every year? Are they deluded?​
dambusters-derwent.jpg
Two among many interesting "facts." Do sports commentators always make everything up?:confused:

The French commentary was even funnier with aerial shots of Leeds castle and apparently the Bronte sisters wrote their later novels at Harwood House!

By its producer's admission the film is a simplified and dramatised version of the story, and sharp-eyed viewers will catch sight of the Ladybower Reservoir which – although the dam was being completed in 1943 - did not actually hold much water when 617 Squadron were training. Furthermore, the tower of Derwent Church was demolished in 1947, so the landmark that was so well-known to the original crews did not appear in the film. Also at the end of the film, long after Guy's dog was dead and buried, Richard Todd is talking to Michael Redgrave (Gibson, Wallis) a black Labrador can be seen running around the airfield, over Todd's left shoulder. 'The ghost of Guy's dog lived on!
HERE

I like it! The villages re-appear in extreme drought years, or, at least, what is left of Derwent and Ashopton, which is not a lot.

(NOTE: villages, not villagers!:eek: )

Huh? This is almost how networking was done about 30 years ago... 50 ohm RG58 co-ax with BNC connectors and T pieces.

Sounds okay... dunno what happens when your aerial network is all point-to-point from a distribution amp though.

Ethernet started out on co-ax, but that was a bit different!

The only advantage over cat 5/6 I can see is if the co-ax cables already run between areas you need to connect together, you would need a co-ax network already in place

I was reading last night about a homeplug sort of idea (expensive and url=http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-homeplug-tp.html] Here[/url]) that could transmit over co-ax or twisted pairs as well as the mains. Twisted pairs gave a much greater distance than the rated maximum for an Ethernet cat5 connection. So presumably you could use gpo twisted pair cable instead of cat5 etc.

Back