Interesting Items...

Lovely. More WiFi-bandwidth-sapping RF interference. Fixed installations should use wires, not RF links just because it's easier.

<<Visions of Black Hole replacing his Hummy remote with a wired connection>>

the 'truck is rolling...'

Do you reckon WiFi will catch on, then? :p

What WiFi needs is more and better channels. I am amazed by the number of routers and access points that still only use 2.4GHz. I know 5GHz has a short range, but it can span an empty room quite well. Meanwhile, the Wifi N router uses 6 of the available 13 channels to push its signal through.

:)

I wan't really referring to WiFi, but general RF equipment. For example: our house alarm is RF, and there are plenty of non-WiFi room thermostats in the wild...

No problems here. My dual band Apple Airport Extreme (6th Gen) and Airport Express work fine. There is only SWMBO's iPhone 3GS and my printer that are still using the 2.4GHz band. Everything else I use is either on the 5GHz band or has an Ethernet connection.

Mike0001 : How does this compare?
Yes I have seen just the detector chip available in the past, but not as a Blue-tooth smart phone accessory
Melexis MLX90620 16X4 array = $70
RoBoard RM-G212 = $120
IR-Blue kit = $160 (Sold out)
IR-Blue assembled = $195 (Sold out)

The difference is the number of heat sensing pixels, they are not in the same league as digital (visible light) cameras in the mega-pixels, the Ir-blue-dm has 16 x 4 and the Therm App. has 384 x 288, or 4.5 cents per pixel :)

Lovely. More WiFi-bandwidth-sapping RF interference.
It's a completely different frequency, so scope for interference is low.
Fixed installations should use wires, not RF links just because it's easier.
I would tend to agree, but most people seemingly don't. Wires are not hackable either.

<<Visions of Black Hole replacing his Hummy remote with a wired connection>>
Like my WiFi-connected iPad, my Humax handset is not a fixed installation - but neither is it RF.
It's a completely different frequency, so scope for interference is low.
Fair enough, I didn't check that, but I have seen other thermostats communicating on 2.4GHz. If it's on the licence-exempt 433MHz, it has scope for making our car central locking unreliable at home!

Like my WiFi-connected iPad, my Humax handset is not a fixed installation - but neither is it RF.

LOL@"Handset"

It would be hard to use your "handset" in a different room or house, so it is fixed in the same room as the box.

My remote, on the other hand, is RF, at least up to the point where the IR repeater kicks in.

By the way it's 12volt not 24.
Ah, I didn't realise they had released a new version for the UK market. The new version does use 12V for the power supply to the thermostat.
The old version only worked with 24V heating systems
The Nest Learning Thermostat works with over 95% of 24V heating and cooling systems, including gas, electric, oil, solar, hot water, geothermal, forced air, heat pump and radiant. (Based on data collected through Nest’s online Compatibility Checker.)

LOL@"Handset"

It would be hard to use your "handset" in a different room or house, so it is fixed in the same room as the box.

My remote, on the other hand, is RF, at least up to the point where the IR repeater kicks in.
Your remote what?

Your remote what?

Don't you mean:

You're remote, What?

Remote can be a noun as well as an adjective. Everyone else but you uses remote for what you call a handset. Do you connect your handset to your Hummy with tinsel wire?:p

Verb??? Don't you mean adjective. I would have thought that as it can describe a relative position, it should be a preposition as well: but what do I know?

Verb??? Don't you mean adjective. I would have thought that as it can describe a relative position, it should be a preposition as well: but what do I know?

Of course, I meant adjective. Corrected.

I remote myself from any implication that it might be used as a verb.

Now't wrong with using a noun that was always a noun! This is AvP territory, but...

"Remote Control Handset" - should that be abbreviated to "Remote", or "Handset"? Which is the most logical?? (I'll answer that for you: "handset" is a general noun defining a class of objects, "remote" and "control" are adjectives qualifying the noun to define sub-classes, so in a situation where the context is already established the correct abbreviated form is "handset". It's easy to work out: if I had a red ball, would I call it a "ball" or a "red"?)

What one person calls a "remote", in other families is called the zapper, or the doofer, or...

So get off your high horses and accept that just because you think it should be one thing doesn't stop somebody else thinking it should be another.

Humpty Dumpty springs to mind.

Of course, if people do this then communication becomes difficult. If you say handset I will conjure up an ancient telephone receiver and not a remote control. We all know what happened when Humpty Dumpty used the term UPD.

Oh, and nobody underlines these days, do they? Isn't underlining for occasions where you don't have bold and italic available, eg, ancient typewriting equipment and handwriting?:disagree:

Back