Assume v. Presume

I don't have to come up with an alternative to point out the absurdity of the original. Even if it does mean what it has come to mean, do JL really want to say they compete on price as their USP?

I don't have to come up with an alternative to point out the absurdity of the original. Even if it does mean what it has come to mean, do JL really want to say they compete on price as their USP?
Yes, I believe they do, and as acronyms go, USP is about as well known as UPD.

What? Where have you been? USP = unique selling point (no, I did not make it up!).

I don't think that's what they intended at all. IMO, "never knowingly undersold" was intended to express "our staff will strive to give you the best possible purchasing experience" - you can go to the bargain basement shops if all you want is the cheapest price.

What? Where have you been? USP = unique selling point (no, I did not make it up!).
I didn't say I didn't know what it meant. I suggest you read my comment again.
I don't think that's what they intended at all. IMO, "never knowingly undersold" was intended to "our staff will strive to give you the best possible purchasing experience" you can go to the bargain basement shops if all you want is the cheapest price.
You can think what you like, just forget about a career in marketing.
"our staff will strive to give you the best possible purchasing experience" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I abhor the recent trend towards overselling in their stores. I detest being pestered by salespersons, particularly ones who know less than I do about their products.

Plus, the special model numbers they used to employ, so that a direct price comparison was impossible, didn't fool anyone, did it?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the BBC news app :

" The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire spoke of their uncertainty when her and her husband first inherited the Chatsworth estate"

Did her now? Her seemed to do well out of it in the end though when her set up a trust to avoid inheritance tax.

Why are people afraid to use the word "me"? So many times I hear people say "I" when they mean "me".

'Cos they think (mistakenly) that "me" is common and incorrect. What annoys I more is when they use "myself" or "yourself" instead.

I didn't say I didn't know what it meant. I suggest you read my comment again.
I have, but if I am following the logic of what you said, either you haven't posted what you meant or you have accepted that "UPD" is better known than you previously claimed.

I have, but if I am following the logic of what you said, either you haven't posted what you meant or you have accepted that "UPD" is better known than you previously claimed.
I have accepted nothing of the sort. I posted exactly what I meant which is that USP is of equal popularity as UPD. Both require explanation to the average reader and should be expanded when first used, as commented on already by gomezz.

Am I the only one who can see the contradiction?
My first comment was "as acronyms go, USP is about as well known as UPD". The second was "USP is of equal popularity as UPD".
There is no contradiction in those two statements, just your feeble attempt to create one.

This meaning what ?
It's humour. It's another TLA that some people will instantly know and others won't. Assigning levels of understanding is fairly arbitrary.
(Although I do have to say that I think a lot more people will know what a USP is than a UPD, but obviously that is just a gut feeling as I have no evidence to support it.)

I have heard of USP but never of UPD. never in the situation of a novel, though.

KPI? is that some sort of iNut?

Back